Man shot dead as Soldiers clash with ‘Omo Onile’ boys in Lagos.
On Saturday, August 26, 2023, an unidentified man was reportedly shot dead by soldiers after clashing with several boys believed to be Omo Onile (landowner) in the Ebute Meta/Otto district of Lagos mainland.
Soldiers had been dispatched to secure Chinese workers for maintenance work along the tracks, but it turned out that some of the boys in the area were trying to stop the work.
A local source revealed that the boys were in constant trouble with the construction workers.
“The Chinese workers stopped using the police because they felt they could not deal with the boys, so they brought in soldiers,” the source said.
Lagos State Police Command spokesman Benjamin Hundein told the press that the Railway Command was in charge of the area.
“It’s not under our control, it’s under the control of the Railway Command,” the PPRO said.
A police command official who confirmed the incident expressed displeasure at the continued atrocities allegedly committed by soldiers in Lagos.
“It happened around 1pm in Ebute Mehta/Otto’s room. Too much. Don’t let this go on. I also have family in Lagos. Can people die at the hands of soldiers? it has to stop.
They are not tagged when participating in such operations, so they cannot be identified or traced,” a police official said.